An essential oil derived from the grapefruit skin through a process of distillation, grapefruit oil is not only aromatic but also has countless benefits for the skin, hair and health. It’s no wonder it has been called “the queen of all essential oils” in some parts of Asia where the fruit originated. This essential oil has the following properties:
- Digestive aid
Here are the top benefits of grapefruit oil.
Better skin health
- Beautiful glowing skin – Grapefruit oil can get rid of excessive oiliness, dryness, and blemishes. It can also keep your skin smooth and silky. It’s best to use this during bath. You can mix it with sugar scrub for efficient exfoliation.
- Anti-aging – With regular use of this essential oil, you can combat signs of premature skin aging like dark spots, fine lines and wrinkles. Make it a habit to apply grapefruit oil on your face and body at least once a day.
- Skin cancer – According to a number of studies, grapefruit oil can decrease risk of skin cancer. To enjoy this benefit, you need to consume the peels of the fruit where the oil can be found. It’s also a good idea to mix with water and massage into your skin before going to sleep.
- Angular cheilitis – Angular cheilitis is an infection of the mouth corners that manifests itself through red inflamed lesions. Loaded with antioxidants like vitamin C, grapefruit oil can do so much in boosting the body’s immune defense. It protects the body from the harmful effects of free radicals. When the immune resistance is strong, the body is at less risk of bacterial, fungal and viral infections like angular cheilitis. Experts often point out that even if you manage to curb the problem of mouth corner cracks, if you have poor health, it may come back over and over again. Grapefruit oil helps ensure that it doesn’t happen.
Lustrous and healthy hair
- Hair tonic – By stimulating the hair follicles, grapefruit oil can promote faster hair growth. This is why, it’s commonly prescribed for hair loss treatment.
- Hair detangler – Annoyed by constant tangles on your hair? Combine grapefruit oil with one teaspoon aloe vera gel, two drops of glycerin, one-half teaspoon grape seed extract and one-half liter water. Put the mixture inside a spray bottle and spray on the hair before taking a bath.
Improved overall health
- Addiction – It’s not often that you’ll find an essential oil that can help fight addiction. But grapefruit oil does that. It helps curb drug addictions and also food cravings. Apply one to two drops of this oil on the neck or stomach for a soothing effect.
- Anorexia and bulimia – As an antidepressant, grapefruit oil is a good way to boost the mood and appetite.
- Appetite suppression – While it can boost the appetite, it can also curb cravings and emotional eating.
- Cardiovascular health – Experts say that by massaging one to two drops of this oil on your chest every night, you can promote a healthier heart.
- Cellulite – Get rid of unsightly cellulite and stretch marks by massaging a mixture of grapefruit oil (one to two drops) and coconut oil (one to two drops as well). Do this every night.
- Digestion – Massage a drop or two of grapefruit oil on the tummy to stimulate and improve digestive function.
- Dry throat – Alleviate the problem of dry throat by gargling one to two drops of grapefruit oil mixed in water.
- Fatigue – Grapefruit oil is also a well-known energy booster. Apply a drop on your chest, neck or head. Massage gently.
- Hangover – One of the best ways to cure hangover is to inhale grapefruit oil. Or you can add one to two drops of this oil on your glass of water.
- Jet lag – For those traveling to different time zones, inhale this essential oil for that energy boost that you need to combat jet lag.
- Kidney – When consumed, this oil can efficiently help in cleansing the urinary system.
Truly, there are a lot of ways to benefit from grapefruit essential oil. Take note however that it is photosensitive. That means if you apply this on your skin and get sun exposure, it can result in skin discoloration. This is why, it’s often recommended to apply this at night before going to sleep.
Image Source: Custom Design